I look forward to the day when the news about autism is truly getting better, not worse. So far, that is certainly not the case. In March, just in time for Autism Awareness Month in April, the CDC released new statistics — 1 in 68 children are now autistic. Since the rate is higher in boys than in girls, that’s 1 in 42 boys, and 1 in 189 girls, more than a million children with autism in the USA and more than 2% of all boys.
Just two years ago (2012) the rate was 1:88. Just five years before that it was 1:150. In the 1970s it was 1:10,000. The rate continues to increase by approximately 10% a year, which means that 20 years from now, we will be up to a rate of 1:10 (10% of all children) autistic, with even higher rates in boys.
Just think of the societal impact! How much longer can doctors say that this is simply due to “increased diagnosis”? The diagnostics have not really changed in the past 10 years. Any pediatrician or school teacher who has been working for over 30 years has seen the dramatic changes first hand. How much longer will our society stick its head in the sand? Or claim that autism is a “genetic” disease? Since when does a genetic disease increase by 30% in just two or three years?
No, the causes are clearly environmental. And they are becoming severe enough to affect more and more people. In homeopathic terms, more and more people are become susceptible to autism, with their own unique susceptibilities resulting in the varied concomitant problems often seen along with autism — e.g., seizures, gut problems, sensitivity to stimuli, and more.
To make things worse, the causes of autism are likely multi-factorial, rendering a perfect storm of triggering factors that conspire together. I could name so many factors that have been implicated, many by scientific studies (see links), right off the top of my head:
▪ Use of Tylenol before and after vaccination, which distorts the immune response, rendering children even more susceptible to damage.
▪ We now have multiple generations of over-vaccination, yielding deeper and deeper susceptibility (this phenomenon has been seen in animal populations who have shorter lifespans.)
▪ Increased exposure to electromagnetic radiation in the form of cell phones, WiFi, and smart meters.
▪ Degradation of the food supply, due to GMOs, food additives, pesticides, over use of sugars especially high fructose corn syrup (more GMOs), and increasingly unnatural forms of gluten in our wheat products — not to mention the increasing propensity to eat junk food instead of home cooking.
▪ Lack of vitamin D, due to overuse of suntan lotions and lack of outdoor activity.
▪ Increasing overuse of antibiotics, antipsychotics, antidepressants, and suppressive allopathic medicines, over several generations.
Many of these factors coincide with the dramatic rise in autism, which began in the 1940s but really began to skyrocket in the 1990s. If our society was really being honest with itself, we would closely examine exactly what things were happening when these precipitous rises in autism occurred. In my view, three factors really jump out:
1. Huge additions to the vaccines schedule;
2. GMOs and the pesticides (especially glyphosphate) used in growing them;
3. Cell phones and WiFi.
The question is: if these things are really causing the autism epidemic, are we willing to cut back on the vaccine schedule? Stand up to Monsanto and the GMO giants (like many other countries are beginning to do)? Get rid of our dependence on cell phones and WiFi (perhaps the hardest of all)?
For more clues, one could also look at the states with the highest autism incidence. New Jersey is at the top, with a rate of 1:48 children and 1:28 boys (3.6%!), and coincidentally was the first and one of the only states to require yearly flu vaccines (a vaccine that definitely contains mercury) to all children ages 6 months to 5 years. Coincidence?
But here’s the good news. Kids are recovering and improving. And one of the more effective treatments is homeopathy. Thanks to my book Impossible Cure and a few others, more and more people are trying the homeopathic option. And it’s no surprise that homeopathy can help, since it has a long history of being able to correct vaccine damage and many auto-immune problems. True, autism recovery is usually slow and difficult, but it is happening every day. People write to me with their recovery stories all the time. And a few of these parents have been willing to contribute to my cure stories database — check it out!
So let’s spread the good news about homeopathy and autism! There many not be much money for studies of homeopathy of any kind, but thankfully, there have been a few that do touch on homeopathic treatment of autism (see below). I’m sure more will come.
▪ Bravalia, Praval. Autism Spectrum Disorder: Holistic Homeopathy:Retrospective Study of 123 cases of Autism Treated with Classical Homeopathy. Homoeopathic Links, Spring 2011, Vol. 24: pp. 31-38. Dr. Bravalia’s clinic in Mumbai is the Spandan Holistic Institute.
▪ Geórgia Regina Macedo de Menezes Fonseca, et al. “Effect of homeopathic medication on the cognitive and motor performance of autistic children (Pilot study).” International Journal of High Dilution Research, 2008; 7(23); 63-71.
▪ Dr. M.A. Rajalakshmi, Role of Homoeopathy in the Management of Autism: Study of Effects of Homoeopathic Treatment on the Autism Triad.
▪ Dr. M.A. Rajalakshmi, New Dimensions in the Treatment of Autism with Homeopathy.
Two interesting papers about the homeopathic treatment of autism can also be found here:
* Sheffield, F. Homoeopathy and the treatment of autism spectrum disorders (part one). Similia, vol. 19: no. 2: pp. 9-41, December 2007.
* Sheffield, F. Homeopathy and the treatment of autism spectrum disorders (part two). Similia vol. 20 no. 1: pp. 11-30, June 2008.
Finally, for more of my past writing about the topic of autism and homeopathy, check out these links to past newsletters and articles:
▪ Autism, Vaccines, and Homeopathy
▪ The importance of patience in autism treatment.
▪ Homeopathic treatment of autism
▪ The vaccine court awards compensation to two autism families.
▪ Homeopathic Medicine: Autism Cured. One Boy’s Remarkable Story
▪ Six Tips for Helping Your Autistic Child Recover
▪ Homeopathy and Autism: A Unique Opportunity for Transformation